Fridays nights presents a perfect time to catch up with family and friends after a long working week. I always go with three to four boxes of The Friday Paprika Chicken box. I can never go wrong. With good music and drinks, we all so soon forget how tried we were or how long the drives back home will be. This is simple to make with only 10 minutes prep time and 45 minutes oven bake or grill time. in between cooking time, when chicken is finally in the oven, you have lots of time to still catch up on gossip before diving in to the juiciness of the chicken.
This recipe is simply finger licking. Simple paring with slices of garlic bread, baked yam in foil, bake or fried potatoes, a simple salad is all you may need for a perfect Friday hang out. The recipe provides two marinate processes. First, you simply use oil, salt and paprika to set the tone. Bake for 30 minutes and then you marinate with yogurt, coriander, lemon peppers and paprika. The use of plantain leaves to wrap and bake the chicken after the first marinate ensures its fully cooked and all flavours are contained. But most importantly it ensures that the chicken remains moist and juicy. In the absence of plantain leaves, you can use the kitchen foil
Finish it off in an open grill to burn the skin and achieve some crunchy outer texture. Oh boy! wish I was eating this all over again. Just amazing. For this recipe, I decided to pair it with sautéed onions and garlic, over a bed of lettuce, yogurt and mayonnaise dip, slices of lemon to creates extra zest effect whilst enjoying the chicken and of cos hot sauce created from the left over of the marinades.
Baked whole chicken in Plantain leaves
2 Kilos whole chicken (soft)
4 tbs Paprika (adjust to taste)
1/2 cup greek yogurt
I whole tomatoes
1 whole onion
I whole garlic
1tbs full ginger paste or freshly cut
- Allow go for a freshly prepared whole chicken. If you are using one that is stored in the freezer, allow it to thaw before commencing.
- Cut through the breast of the chicken and wash under running with with one freshly cut lemon juice. Using the lemon juice takes away the ‘poultry’ smell from the chicken.
- Marinate with olive oil from the inner layer through the skin
- Marinate with salt and paprika. This should be throughly done. To ensure this, I would usually make additional cuts in the breast, the thighs and under the wings. The amount of paprika is dependent of your spice tolerance level. I graceful use 2 tbs full of parprika
- To add freshness to be chicken, I would pack slices of ginger, garlic, chilli & tomatoes before closing it up to bake.
- Close chicken, wrap and bake in plantain leaves for 30 minutes over medium to high heat.
- Open leaves and chicken and marinate with mixture of natural yogurt, khebab powder, coriander seeds, salt and lemon pepper
- Grill without closing or covering the chicken for extra crunchiness and for a perfect dark brown color for 10 minutes on high heat.
- Serve with compliments of choice such as dips, salads, sautéed vegetables, boiled or fried potatoes or hot chilli sauce
- For extra taste and flavour marinate chicken for 2-4 hours or overnight